top of page

Our Staff

Our Staff

Our Deacons

"Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God's grace in its various forms" ~1 Peter 4:10

Our Deacons share their gifts in many capacities

Our History

​

The Early Years 1893-1900’s--Organization to Dedication

On November 11, 1893, the Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Emanuel Church of the old Augustana Synod was organized. This resulted when a small, devoted group of Scandinavians, who had come primarily from Sweden, settled in Pleasantville and felt the need to meet and have religious services. They met in a meeting hall over a grocery store known as Washburn’s, located next to the old train station. The first congregational meeting was held December 26, 1894. Alfred Larson was elected chairman. During 1895, the group held 38 services and baptized 7 infants. They paid J.C. Westglund the sum of $153.50 as their "preacher." In October of 1896 a member of the church named Mrs. Earle promised that if the Swedes would build a church, she would donate the building lot. A mortgage of $1,000 was obtained from non-member, J.R. Tankens of Pleasantville and the church was built. The cornerstone was laid in October of 1895 and it was dedicated on October 22, 1896.

​

 This church on Lincoln Avenue was the home of Emanuel for the next 60 years. It was a large one-room building seating 90 people. It had a semi-circular altar with a large and high pulpit built against the wall. It was heated by a large stove. Kerosene lamps were used for light and water had to be carried to the building. People came by horse and buggy and thus a large horse shed was built in the back of the building.

​

Early 1900’s -1950’s

In 1911 electricity was added and by 1920 the mortgage was paid. The congregation decided to complete the basement and build a fellowship hall. The services were held in Swedish and there was no regular pastor or Sunday School.

In the fall of 1911, Pastor John Johnson from the Bronx conducted the first confirmation class of 7 girls and 3 boys. These ten were confirmed on March 31,1912. Ida Brown was a member of that class.

On September 1, 1916, the first ordained pastor arrived to serve the combined White Plains/Pleasantville parishes. Pastor William Frindberg used English as the language of the services once each month. The services were held at Trinity in White Plains in the morning and at 3:45pm Sunday afternoons in Pleasantville. Sunday school was started, and the second confirmation class began. In 1917, the first Luther League began, and the Ladies Aid Society and men's clubs were organized.

​

This arrangement with Trinity continued until 1949 when it became evident that one person could not serve both congregations effectively. Emanuel had 47 adult members and 23 children, and George Nelson, a seminary student intern, came to Pleasantville to serve the congregation. The Board of American Missions sponsored his work. Membership increased by 50% and he made the congregation believe that someday they would have a large church. At the end of that year, it was decided that Emanuel should continue alone and that they should hire a full-time pastor and seek a new site.

 

1950-1970’s Expansion & Growth

In 1950 Pastor Theodore Lundquist served as Vice-Pastor. Student pastors Kenneth Dale (1951) and Joseph Anderson (1952) served the congregation until 1952. The first full-time resident pastor, Roger Boraas, served from August 1, 1952 until December of 1954. Rev. Dr. Arnold Carlson served as interim Pastor from 1955 to 1956 while completing his Doctoral studies at Union Seminary in New York.

​

The Move to Manville

In 1952 the site for a new church on Manville Road was purchased and plans were underway. This site was the only land big enough for a church left in Pleasantville. The price was $7,000.  The first step was to build a parsonage, which was completed on Arthur Avenue in Thornwood. This was accomplished with volunteer work and donations. Breaking of the ground for the church took place on May 9th, 1954, and the structure was completed March 1955. The first service in the new structure was conducted by Dr. Evald B. Lawson, President of Upsal College. Membership was at 175. It wasn't long until the congregation felt the need to expand. In July of 1955 a house was purchased on Manville Road, not far from the church as the parsonage. The house had been built in 1924 by Oscar Bergmark, son of a member of the congregation. The Thornwood parsonage was then sold. In July of 1956 Pastor John Pearson began his ministry at Emanuel and membership was 205. In 1959 and 1960 plans were made to expand the building. By 1968, parish statistics numbered 644 confirmed and 300 baptized members.

​

1970-1990’s Continued Growth and Additions

In 1975 the numbers had swelled to 700 confirmed and 300 additional baptized members. There was a carol choir and a children's choir. The senior choir of more than 40 members under the direction of Ron Dunn sang regularly. The Emanuel band performed several times a year with more than 35 members. In 1973 the Bell Ringer program was started under the direction of Rosemarie Wildman and continues today under the direction of Eiko Cornelius. The Bells have represented Emanuel in many concerts, tours & international trips for symposiums and festivals.

​

The Katy Club for singles and couples met once a month for social and other types of programs. The Senior Luther League of High School and Post High School age students were very active, as well as the Junior Luther league. A group of retired men organized the GOTHEM "Get Out To Help Emanuel Men." Sunday School directed by Eleanor Swanson involved more than 200 children and 20 men and women who were teachers and helpers.

​

The 1980’s saw the Emanuel Choir traveling to Boston, Annapolis, Philadelphia and Washington D.C. to sing as guests in area churches.  In 1982 the Carillon was dedicated.  The 1990’s also ushered in our first Synodical deacon, Lynne Hansen, later joined by Bill Bello, Marge Freiman, Barbara Meberg, Karen Nurmi, Nancy Schoener and VictoriaLee Struss.

 

1990’s to present

Pastor Paul Egensteiner began his ministry in the early 1990’s and celebrated his 25th Anniversary of Ordination here in the 2000’s. A mission trip to Scholharie following hurricane Irene was undertaken during these years, the Labyrinth and Meditation Garden was created and the Library was redesigned to provide a combined worship area and meeting room. It was renamed the Living Room. In 2013, the Kegg organ was installed and dedicated in concert. Other building upgrades have included solar panels, the fellowship hall & the kitchen was updated and renamed Pearson Hall. An elevator was added and most recently, the downstairs bathroom has been renovated.

​

In 2019 Pastor Paul was called to become the Metropolitan NY Synod’s Bishop and Pastor Rodger Berner became the interim Pastor and led the church through the Covid pandemic era.  

​

In the Spring of 2021, following the difficult year of Covid lockdowns, Rev. Kevin O’Hara became Emanuel’s pastor.  Pastor Kevin continues to guide Emanuel into its growing future.

bottom of page